Friday, January 14, 2011

Older

  What is it about getting older?  I assume most people begin to reminisce about past achievements and failures and how they wish they could go back and change a thing here or there.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about that once in awhile.  But then it isn't very constructive second guessing your decisions and living in the past. Plus, I have a different bone to pick with getting older.
  Why can I not sleep in anymore?  Seriously!  What chemical in my brain decided to switch on within the last few months that has disabled my slumber mode?  Today for instance.  It's a Saturday morning, right around ten.  This would've been a perfect time to wake up after falling asleep around 1am. (Had to watch 6 episodes of the Inbetweeners!  Good show)
  But instead, I've been tossing and turning in my bed since 5:30am.  And the only reason I haven't gotten out of bed yet is because I have principles!  But now I'm just getting bored and I guess I need to get outside and make something of my weekend.  I can already hear my dad's voice, "Quit sleeping your life away!" 
  No chance in that happening.  I haven't been able to sleep my life away since I got here.  Maybe it's a gene from our prehistoric ancestors?  Something to do with survival?  At 32 I'd have been an elder statesman in my band of hairy, stone-tooled, hunch-backed relatives.  I would've needed the ability to wake up earlier then my younger counterparts in order to secure my food for the day.  That has to be it!
  "Quit sleeping your life away!"  That reminds me of another saying my dad had.  "Wake up and meet the sun half-way."  As a teenager, needing copious amounts of sleep, I would point-out to my dad, at 6am, that meeting the sun half way, could actually mean meeting the sun when it was halfway done with its day. Noon.  He didn't by it, but it made perfect sense to me.  I don't wanna sleep my life away or even meet the sun half way, but I would like the ability, again, to enjoy a few extra hours of sleep on a weekend. 
  I don't mind getting older.  If approached correctly, you'll actually mature and grow as a person and become less of an egocentric twat.  I just hope the change in personal and worldviews doesn't go hand in hand with hearing loss and bed wetting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment